In a recent study covering over a 1000 customers of a telecom client, we arrived at 14 factors that a majority of them consider important. Out of the 14 elements that customers mentioned as important, 9 are related to their experience. This simple survey shows us the importance of having an effective customer experience management system in place.
In this article, we look at how Geckolyst was able to turn around the customer experience of a major telecom player. Before understanding how we were able to achieve this, let’s take a quick look at the state-of-the-art technology that powers our customer experience management system and its core features.
Geckolyst’s enhanced customer experience management solution
Our solution tracks the three most important voice-of-customer metrics:
- Customer loyalty: How likely is the customer to recommend our product to others? It is usually measured by Net Promoter Score (NPS).
- Customer satisfaction score: It is usually measured by the CSAT survey scores and can be used to determine the happiness level of the customer at every single touchpoint.
- Customer effort: Most commonly measured by a Customer Effort Survey (CES), this scores assesses how smooth the customer perceived the interaction was, and how quickly was his issue resolved.
Two of the core features of our customer experience management solution are:
- Omni-channel platform
Geckolyst aggregates voice of customer feedback across all customer-facing channels including SMS, email, IVR, social media, website, call center and chat. Data from these touch points is aggregated and presented in easy-to-understand dashboards. Our Natural Language Processing (NLP) engine analyses text feedback (in free form), identifies sentiment and categorizes feedback to enable easy decision making.
- Feedback aggregation
Geckolyst has the capability to aggregate structured and unstructured feedback from all possible sources and systems. Integrating it with existing IT, CRM systems is simple and straightforward. It provides easily deployable APIs that enable data communication between multiple platforms – from billing, call center to POS transactions.
The success story of a telecom operator
We tracked a total of five million responses to understand the voice of customers in India. We used vernacular surveys to encourage more responses. Because of our mobile app, we got real time updates on-the-go and we were able to analyse the responses and take quick decisions.
Close to 60% of our responses came from the pre-paid segment and the rest from the post-paid segment. If we look at the contribution of key channels, close to 60% of these responses came from the call center, 20% from digital channels, 5% from the network and 2% from retail stores.
The project started in the second quarter of the year 2016. By deploying and efficiently incorporating the suggestions into various departments, we were able to see amazing results starting from the fourth quarter of 2016.
- In Q1 2016, the average monthly responses were 0.6 million and the low response rate was a major concern. By Q4 2016, avg. monthly responses doubled to 1.2 million and the response rate increased by 1.5%
- The Voice-of-Customer showed us that there was a huge gap between customer perception and internal matters of networks, people, billing, and products. By Q4, we had a fully empowered front-line staff and established a real-time VOC for new products. Network defects dropped by 17% and billing issues reduced by a healthy 25%.
- All LOBs started on negative TNPS in Q1 and by Q4, they were all trending positive.
Let us take a look at some specific issues that Geckolyst tackled and significantly improved:
Decreasing the long waiting time
NPS analysis showed us that “long waiting time” was the primary driver for the dip in scores. To decrease this, we undertook several circle-level initiatives:
- All circles started focussing on operational aspects of waiting time.
- Following an agent/load analysis, we introduced more executives/desks in specific stores.
- We introduced TNPS/productive matrix in Gujarat to identify issues and deploy ZTP.
- In Mumbai and Kerala, we started a SWIFT counter for SIM exchanges.
- In Delhi, we included wait time in CRE KRAs and empowered agents to manage traffic.
- We identified the premium segment and prioritized them – this helped us increase the number of promoters.
As a result, the waiting time TNPS score is at the highest level for the company, from March 2016.
Increasing retention and decreasing churn
To increase retention, we analysed customer feedback to identify customers who enquired about mobile number portability (MNP).
- We first identified the cases where there was a surge in competitor reference and comparison.
- Customer feedback trend showed a high correlation between MNP requests and certain tariffs and data plans.
- Geckolyst insight engine was able to quantify these losses – it showed a high revenue loss due to a possible churn from high ARPU customers.
- Whenever an MNP request is received from a high-value customer, we set up high-priority, automated alerts as tickets to the service recovery management team for quick action.
- We then followed a close looping strategy to retain high-value customers.
Day-one identification helped prevent a large revenue loss, and gain the confidence of customers. We thus curbed the churn, and currently our client enjoys a churn below the national average.
Key transformations based on VOC feedback
- MNP TAT reduced from 1 hour to 1 minute.
- On time billing generation improved by 32%, and is now running at 99.9%.
- Defects related to waiting time at retail reduced by 65%.
- One SIM for all – defect reduced by 65%.
- Customized retention plans now on the market, which have become huge successes.
NPS Analysis outcomes:
- First-time resolution increased by 35%.
- Complaints/thousand sub decreased by 32%
- Call per sub decreased by 21%.
- We have now established NPS leadership footprint in 13 markets.
Our process for winning back customers:
We implemented a very targeted, systematic approach towards resolving customers issues, especially for those customers who showed signs of churning. This was our 5-step plan:
- Outcall: We continually analysed all the out going calls. We found out that 30% of these calls were red alerts.
- Understand: 56% of the red alerts were called within 4 hours. The frontline was empowered for decision making and was supported by Geckolyst’s interface.
- Resolve: Due to corrective actions, 70% of red alerts were resolved. 52% of red alerts converted to promoters.
- Root-cause analysis: Every resolved alert was segregated based on product, people, process, and system. We did a root-cause analysis on every single resolved alert.
- Continual improvement: We have the RCA updated on Geckolyst, and have a single interface for continual improvement.
The speed of resolution has increased multifold due to this 5-pronged approach. The telecom player now resolves close to 50,000 complaints every month.
Here is a graph that shows how we identified and prioritized several issues:
To improve the TNPS score, we defined the responsibilities of various departments and functions. We then empowered them with the means to improve and optimize their performance.
Future evolution of customer experience management solutions
Geckolyst’s solutions for emerging markets
Geckolyst has a range of customized solutions to make the best use of the social and macroeconomic scenarios of emerging markets. These solutions also address issues specific to emerging markets. Some of them are:
- Emerging markets see a high teledensity in urban areas and low teledensity in rural areas. A chatbot and an automated Wcom system in urban markets help tackle the high traffic and prevent congestion. To reach out to people in the rural areas for feedback, we have come up with a highly optimized vernacular survey – that comes in up to 10 languages.
- Emerging markets naturally attract a lot of players, due to their high potential. There is a good chance that the market may become commoditized, and price becomes the main driver of market share. To help brands not get caught up in the price war and have a sustainable differentiated model, Geckloyst provides actionable analytics for acquisition and retention, along with a highly customized training module for employees.
- Another feature of developing markets is that smartphones have become quite affordable and data access has become ubiquitous. To take full advantage of this trend, Geckolyst also conducts surveys on mobile sites and mobile apps. Customized reporting, alerts, and notifications make it easy to manage these surveys on the go.
- Emerging markets are extremely price-sensitive. Geckolyst offers SmartAssist, an automated solution for call centers – so scaling up does not increase the price burden.
Smart Assistants – the future of technology
Connectivity, as a concept took form in the 1970s. The computing power of systems started increasing in the 1990s and started maturing into software in the 2000s. Between 2010 – 2015, cloud computing has become very common. With automation getting into many facets of our life today, we expect that by 2020, smart assistants – powered by artificial intelligence are going to become commonplace.
CRM systems are going to evolve into enhanced CEM systems
In the near future, customer experiences are going to decide the market share of brands. Brands have already started moving to a CEM system from their existing CRM systems. CEM systems that build a profile of customers using their social media profiles, providing enhanced customer insights, which come with deep data integrations and prioritise mobile are going to be the future of experience management systems.