An increasing number of organizations are focussing on managing customer experiences every year. An important part of this process is to have a strategy for their customer-facing employees.
As far as the customer is concerned, the front-line employees represent the brand. He forms his opinion of the brand based on his experience with them. For him, a bad experience with them reflects poorly on the brand. When he goes online to share this negative experience, he directs his ire at the brand and not the single front-line employee. Unfortunately, a bad reputation on social media inevitably costs the brand customers and prospects.
Hence, organizations need to manage the front-line employees more effectively. They should ensure that their employees represent the brand accurately. To this end, a lot of organizations have started using a metric called ASAT score (Agent Satisfaction Score).
To generate the ASAT score, organizations would require the customer’s rating and feedback for the agent. If the customer has not reviewed the agent, then it becomes impossible to evaluate the agent. Hence, companies are looking at other ways to review agents, without depending on customers’ feedback.
Any alternate method to rate agents should be objective and based on measurable actions. It should not be influenced by the agent’s manager or organization.
We at Geckolyst, arrived at a solution to this problem – an Alternate Agent Score (AAS). We arrive at this score using statistical scales – both input and output are measurable scales with clear action on what to do and how to do. Here is an example to illustrate it –
Some of the important parameters that are used to measure a typical call center agent are:
- Total number of calls handled
- Total repeat calls
- Number of transfers to supervisor
- Number of cross-sells
- Number of upsells
- Average call hold time (ACHT)
Here, all the KPIs starting from repeat calls, could be a ratio of the total number of calls handled by the agent. Once the ratio is done weights are assigned to the variables using multi-variant regression. Weights are assigned considering each variable’s importance. Each KPI based on the required outcome would have either a positive or a negative score. An agent would get incentivized in terms of the score if he upsells and would be disincentivized if the total repeat calls increases. Once scores for individual KPI’s are fixed, they are added together to give a combined Alternate Agent Score.
Advantages of Alternate Agent score
- Each Agent now can have an individual score
- There can be a dashboard where the agent can compare himself with other agents, and know where he stands
- He can identify his areas of improvement using the dashboard.
- Organizations can now impart customized training to employees. Based on their KPIs, they can train employees in the areas that they are lagging.
- Using an online training management portal (or an app), the training manager can allocate courses to any agent individually.
- Post the training session, the organization can now monitor the performance of the employee using the same KPIs. Inability to measure performance post training is a big challenge, faced by most organizations. The Alternate Agent Score solves this problem too.
- Alternate Agent Score can be used in conjunction with ASAT and feedback to get a comprehensive view of the agent’s performance. Areas of improvement for each individual employee can be identified and focussed training can be imparted.
Organizations can introduce an element of fun to the entire training process as well. They can gamify the scores – agents can score more by completing the training modules assigned to them. Post training, their actual performance can be monitored closely.
The customer journey starts with their interaction with a front-line employee or a call center agent. It is high time organizations realize the importance of their customer-facing staff, and start managing them effectively. A motivated employee base with the right kind of training can manage the customer experience journey much better.
Vice President Products And Consulting